This chart reveals the area where most goals are scored in the game of hockey. The dark green area (net/slot zones) is a prime scoring area. Goals scored in the dark green area result from some of the following offensive tactics:
- puck deflection by a player standing in the green area
- wrap around by a player coming from behind the net
- walk out by a player coming from behind the goal line area
- offensive player driving the net with his/her stick on the ice for pass or deflection
- player beating a defensemen one on one and going to the net from below the hash marks or front of the net
- player winning a loose puck battle in the green area and getting a shot on net
So, while we’re coaching our young defensemen, how can we defend against those offensive opportunities?